Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bull Beef

causeway cowboy

Bull Beef

Thinking on finishing a few bulls through to beef. Anyone give guidence on a mix for them. Want to make as much use of home grown rolled barley as possible. Any other tips be helpfull!

macus3

Re: Bull Beef

What the general consensus on here and from tryin a few other methods, ad lib barley is the way forward along with nice clean straw. What I have done in the past and what I plan for this year is feed a little protein and minerals in the mix up till jan, then just barley until ready to kill. This is for jan-mar born sucker calfs. Usually wean round 1 nov but after last night, the most of my grazing is in to the straps, so maybe only 10 days grazing left. Ground round creeps is, well...

the son

The first thing you need to sort out is your market, many abbatoirs prefer bulls at a certain age and start making deductions once they have passed that age, this will then dictate what you feed them.
    I have done it for the first time this year and it has been a steep learning curve.
    The basic mix they have had over their life has been based on maize silage, potatoes, rolled wheat and protein, as soon as the spuds went out of the ration in early summer DLWG dropped rapidly, I managed to recover this by using a beef cake, but it was expensive, and needed a consistent 1.5kg per day to make it cost effective, we are back on the spuds now which is better for my profitability, and the bulls seem much happier, they love them!
    We have had a bit of a problem with bullying, but as they have got older this seems to have stopped, but we have ended up with a pen of slower growers because of it. I do not know how to get over this as they remain in the same group all their life, I guess cattle are like everything else, the bigger ones always pick on the smaller ones.

Oldmacdonald

While out at grass we creep feed them 50/50 mix barley and dark grains, and gradually wean them onto almost all barley.
    Inside at 9 months and then adlib barley+protein for the rest of their lives.

Ready to go sometimes under 12 months.

Charolais cross calves though, maybe you are talking about black and whites?

causeway cowboy

Yes black and whites hope to have them away by 16mths. How much roughly should they be eating at say 7 mths 12mths 15mths?

Raider 112

Quote Originally Posted by causeway cowboy View Post
    Yes black and whites hope to have them away by 16mths. How much roughly should they be eating at say 7 mths 12mths 15mths?
    If on ad-lib barley, which is the best way with black and whites, get them away as soon as they reach weight and condition for your market as they will eat pretty close to a tonne of feed in the last 3 months to take them to 550 kg. They say about 2.3 tonnes to rear from 3 months but some will do better. (although some might do worse! )

him

Quote Originally Posted by the son View Post
    The first thing you need to sort out is your market, many abbatoirs prefer bulls at a certain age and start making deductions once they have passed that age, this will then dictate what you feed them.
    I have done it for the first time this year and it has been a steep learning curve.
    The basic mix they have had over their life has been based on maize silage, potatoes, rolled wheat and protein, as soon as the spuds went out of the ration in early summer DLWG dropped rapidly, I managed to recover this by using a beef cake, but it was expensive, and needed a consistent 1.5kg per day to make it cost effective, we are back on the spuds now which is better for my profitability, and the bulls seem much happier, they love them!
    We have had a bit of a problem with bullying, but as they have got older this seems to have stopped, but we have ended up with a pen of slower growers because of it. I do not know how to get over this as they remain in the same group all their life, I guess cattle are like everything else, the bigger ones always pick on the smaller ones.
    heard of a few strands of fencer wire across at a foot above their head connected to the fencer for a few days only.

Mayo

If you can get them spuds will work like you would never believe, yes they are a bit wet but full of starch so ideal for this.

As above drop protein percentage on the 'home straight' will need a little protein and sensible mineral for the first 2/3rds.

Feed ad-lib, don't let the trough go empty, less battling for feed space.

Clean straw also.

I see the odd few people who apparently do not think it is worth bedding beef cattle and so see them lying on cold wet sh1t basically. I would imagine the heat loss from this is pretty steep, probably not ideal in farm inspectors eyes, either.

Oldmacdonald

Will they do better on a potato/barley/protein diet than straight barley/protein?

nick channer

we've reared around 300 in last few yrs... some as calves just off cow and some bought in when there 3 months old and alredy on ad lib barley.. the home reared ones seem to do better but the older bought in ones are far less work.... we fatten ours around 13-14 months no older or the abatoir wont want them... they are averaging 850 each on batch of 10 sent in... as much barley as they can get inside them mixed with protein and minerals... same mix all way through from 3 months old along with rough hay and small amount silage....
    was far better when barley was 70 ton....

Chae

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    If you can get them spuds will work like you would never believe, yes they are a bit wet but full of starch so ideal for this.

As above drop protein percentage on the 'home straight' will need a little protein and sensible mineral for the first 2/3rds.

Feed ad-lib, don't let the trough go empty, less battling for feed space.

Clean straw also.

I see the odd few people who apparently do not think it is worth bedding beef cattle and so see them lying on cold wet sh1t basically. I would imagine the heat loss from this is pretty steep, probably not ideal in farm inspectors eyes, either.
    Do you think there will be much cheap spuds going around this year?

pauld

I see Eblex have a new booklet out on options for dairy bull calves. Not something I am into but might be worth a read.

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by nick channer View Post
    we've reared around 300 in last few yrs... some as calves just off cow and some bought in when there 3 months old and alredy on ad lib barley.. the home reared ones seem to do better but the older bought in ones are far less work.... we fatten ours around 13-14 months no older or the abatoir wont want them... they are averaging 850 each on batch of 10 sent in... as much barley as they can get inside them mixed with protein and minerals... same mix all way through from 3 months old along with rough hay and small amount silage....
    was far better when barley was 70 ton....
    What breeds are you fhinshing?? with grain at 170/ton it must be marginal any profits if they are only averaging 850.. most abbs take upto 16 months..

Like you i do both home grown ones and bought in ones and the home grown ones seem to do a lot faster for some reason..

Ps : ref the Eblex booklet somone else mentioned... i wouldnt go on their figures too much.... two years ago they reckoned you could keep a suckler cow on 19 ish ( worth of silage all winter... how the hell that could have been poss regardless of system i just dont know!!!!

beller

Quote Originally Posted by causeway cowboy View Post
    Thinking on finishing a few bulls through to beef. Anyone give guidence on a mix for them. Want to make as much use of home grown rolled barley as possible. Any other tips be helpfull!
    didn't think the eblex booklet had an awful lot of detail in. this one produced by agrisearch/afbi is much better.

http://www.agrisearch.org/publicatio...t.viewdoc&id=4

kennyo

Would neeps (swedes) give good result like spuds? We stopped growing them years ago but they are starting to look like good value again with the high price of grain.

Forage Trader

You should replace half the minerals with limestone put straw in racks as well as on floor

Gormers

Dont keep black and whites too long, 12 to 13 months max,(400/420kg) they need to be going.
    Cost too much in feed to go older/heavier.
    If selling deadweight grades and killing out % will suffer.

Used to feed potato a few years back until i lost one or two to choking,
    tried chopping them but the inevitable stone kept getting in and buggering the chopper blades up.:cry:

Bull beef need quality feed, quality housing, and kept in small batches (10/15} if possible.

Cheers Gormers

Raider 112

Quote Originally Posted by Gormers View Post
    Dont keep black and whites too long, 12 to 13 months max,(400/420kg) they need to be going.

tried chopping them but the inevitable stone kept getting in and buggering the chopper blades up.:cry:

Bull beef need quality feed, quality housing, and kept in small batches (10/15} if possible.

Cheers Gormers
    Agree about not keeping them too long, but 400kg is very small and would be hammered as underweight by a distance on the deadweight.

An Gof

Cheers Gormers

If you can only achieve 400-420 kg LW at 12-13 months I should give up now.

Forage Trader

Quote Originally Posted by An Gof View Post
    We used to draw 550 kg at 13 months by 16 months they need to be all but gone or you losing money, Dunbia used to take older bulls if you had any left

sheepwise

Having not finished dairy bulls for a number of years,what sort of weights are achievable with today's type of holstein on an intensive diet at 13-14 months?

Gormers

Quote Originally Posted by An Gof View Post

Apologies to all, just read my post, not right at all,

Last batch av 462kg throu ring at 11 months old.

Anyone remember Ralgro growth promoter, that seemed to keep bulls quiet, a steady hand was needed injecting the pellet into thin skinned ears.

Cheers Gormers

ps to self USE PREVIEW POST BUTTON.

An Gof

Apologies to all, just read my post, not right at all,

Last batch av 462kg throu ring at 11 months old.

Anyone remember Ralgro growth promoter, that seemed to keep bulls quiet, a steady hand was needed injecting the pellet into thin skinned ears.

Cheers Gormers

ps to self USE PREVIEW POST BUTTON.
    Used to use Ralgro in its day and have experienced the frustration of seeing the pellets fall on the floor after pulling the trigger with the needle in and out of ear skin

Eventually we had to stop using it as it made the steers a bit lively and they were always rubbing t,he hedge. The improvement in beef performance wasn't enough to pay for gaping up all our Cornish stone hedges.

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by sheepwise View Post
    Having not finished dairy bulls for a number of years,what sort of weights are achievable with today's type of holstein on an intensive diet at 13-14 months?
    Unless you have all home grown feed ( except protein ) then there wont be much profit in doing dairy bulls at the moment.

Enry

Quote Originally Posted by gone up the hill View Post
    Unless you have all home grown feed ( except protein ) then there wont be much profit in doing dairy bulls at the moment.
    surely you should cost your cereals at market value or you're kidding yourself? If you keep 200t of barley to feed 100 bulls, you could have sold the barley for 180/t and sold the straw as well...?

gone up the hill

Quote Originally Posted by Enry View Post
    surely you should cost your cereals at market value or you're kidding yourself? If you keep 200t of barley to feed 100 bulls, you could have sold the barley for 180/t and sold the straw as well...?
    Ideally yes but you have to take into account the value of the muck returned by the bulls, without the muck you cant grow the crops ( well not on my ground anyway ) so i use the difference in the cost to grow v sale price to cover this in the figures.

dmcmiken

Quote Originally Posted by Enry View Post
    No, it depends on your area, your farm and your situation. I have a mixed farm with dairy and beef. We fatten our bulls on home grown barley and some bought in barley. We do not cost our barley at market value when costing bulls. We are not in an arable area and firstly would probably struggle to harvest barley at good enough quality for selling. It would also cost us money to haul grain here, being on the other side of the country from arable country, so there's another 10/t we're saving. We also have to do something with our ground, maybe one year we could get barley cheaper than we can grow but the next year we might not, so how can I possibly have a long term plan for the farm by chopping and changing our system depending on market value of the grain we grow. As long as long as the bottom line figure at the end of the year is good then that is all that interests me and I am not kidding myself.

Enry

Quote Originally Posted by dmcmiken View Post
    No, it depends on your area, your farm and your situation. I have a mixed farm with dairy and beef. We fatten our bulls on home grown barley and some bought in barley. We do not cost our barley at market value when costing bulls. We are not in an arable area and firstly would probably struggle to harvest barley at good enough quality for selling. It would also cost us money to haul grain here, being on the other side of the country from arable country, so there's another 10/t we're saving. We also have to do something with our ground, maybe one year we could get barley cheaper than we can grow but the next year we might not, so how can I possibly have a long term plan for the farm by chopping and changing our system depending on market value of the grain we grow. As long as long as the bottom line figure at the end of the year is good then that is all that interests me and I am not kidding myself.
    If it's dry enough to store it must be good enough to sell..?

dmcmiken

It would need dried to sell. its normally about 19%, so we put in a tower, spread some on floors and/or use propcorn when required.

sheepwise

Quote Originally Posted by sheepwise View Post
    Bump!