Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: buckraking

davidroberts30

Re: buckraking

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Class View Post
    It certainly is!
    I asked two lads last week if they would jump on the buckrake for the day, first one went white as a sheet and was not keen at all, other said ok I'll give it a shot. Guess which one got offered a full time job?!!
    you

Turkeyboy

Quote Originally Posted by multi power View Post
    when you reverse up a steep pit most of the weight will be on front axle, drive up with a loader n weight is on back axle
    Put it in 2wd and find out how much weight is really on the back axel when pushing grass up the clamp with a loader.

prongy

Quote Originally Posted by Turkeyboy View Post
    Put it in 2wd and find out how much weight is really on the back axel when pushing grass up the clamp with a loader.
    And what has happened to the C.O.G.

Johnny Class

Quote Originally Posted by davidroberts30 View Post
    you
    Aye it's one o they jobs I'm stuck wae but the lad lasted all day while I was cutting elsewhere.
    My buckrake is on the back and I've had a few problems with the front dif and drop box of a deere 69. I still reckon I can do a better job of the pits with it on the rear though, I find it easier to roll the edges.

Turkeyboy

Quote Originally Posted by prongy View Post
    And what has happened to the C.O.G.
    You would have more chance getting up in 2wd with a buckrake full on the back than you would in 2wd with a buckrake full on the front.

Agrimix

buckrakings the best job,better than getting all shook about up the nice farm tracks all day

jim75

But your being harrassed all the time and fleeing about like a blue bottle wi the runs.

Mayo

Rear drive Fendt or Valmet would be the kiddie, wouldn't it. No stiff neck. No sore clutch leg, either.

prongy

You would have more chance getting up in 2wd with a buckrake full on the back than you would in 2wd with a buckrake full on the front.
    I'm agreeing with you, just that no one has pointed out the major difference in C.O.G. between a loader and a front or rear linkage on a pit.
    Which is the most likely to fall over??

Agrimix

Quote Originally Posted by jim75 View Post
    But your being harrassed all the time and fleeing about like a blue bottle wi the runs.
    maybe so but once your good your always good.

multi power

but with a buckrake on the back you would be reversing up

devils advocate

Quote Originally Posted by tweco View Post
    much better grip and push when going forward up the pit
    Put the tyres on back to front. Tractor then thinks it is going forward.

Reverse drive seems obvious to me.

smythricky

Quote Originally Posted by nick_fr View Post
    So a 135 shouldnt be able to climb a silage pit then.
    I used. Grey/gold fergie 35 for a few years before a 290 4wd. Fergie was fine doing off a ramp where didn't have to climb. Anywhere we had to climb you had to fill the buck rake and drive up the pit and empty, level and roll and go for next load.

The 290 was a godsend when changed to it.

Richard

boyo

Quote Originally Posted by T7050 View Post
    How would a buckrake on the front links work with a wagon? What I've seen of a wagon few years back the chop is longer and would roll in front of the fork rather than spread. Is that true? What is the best wagon then?

I dont think id fancy a front linkage fork as the wagon silage does take a bit more work. Saying that we clear about 60 ac a day and only do our own work so I was thinking maybe a decent tractor loader would handle it and the extra tractor would be a lot more usefull the rest of the year.

Yale

Quote Originally Posted by boyo View Post
    I dont think id fancy a front linkage fork as the wagon silage does take a bit more work. Saying that we clear about 60 ac a day and only do our own work so I was thinking maybe a decent tractor loader would handle it and the extra tractor would be a lot more usefull the rest of the year.
    Clamping with our two man system with our wagon i found our loadall useful while the pit was not too steep.Having a grab is good for placing the grass along the edges.The longer chop grass does take a little more technique.

BeefBoy

Quote Originally Posted by boyo View Post
    I've buckraked to a wagon and it's harder work than a chopper. I think a loader would struggle with the weight in wet conditions (you will need a big fork) but could be ok with dry stuff. My worry would be COG if you're working under pressure but you can always dual up, it helps with rolling anyway. Wagon grass is harder to level out so a big fork on a loader would be better for keeping the pit tidy provided you can keep the apron clear at the front with it.
    If you really fancy having an extra tractor I'd give it a try, but keep what you're currently using till you see how it goes. A decent tractor with a loader will hold it's value so you can always sell it again if it doesn't work out. Or, if you're thinking of buying new, maybe you could hire something or get a demo first to see how it copes.

SPIDERS

This is what i use!! Will keep up with 850 and 3 trailers close with a good driver!

multi power

Quote Originally Posted by smythricky View Post
    I used. Grey/gold fergie 35 for a few years before a 290 4wd. Fergie was fine doing off a ramp where didn't have to climb. Anywhere we had to climb you had to fill the buck rake and drive up the pit and empty, level and roll and go for next load.

The 290 was a godsend when changed to it.

Richard
    my father buckraked for years with a 4cyl35, always off a ramp n even odd times with a small sp picking up

mud6920s

nozzy

we had a 6840 buckrake ours with front linkage and could push 12 tonne load up in 1. we have a roofed clamp and it was buckraked a few years ago with a claas targo and it could reach further and generally do a better job

cowfarm

Quote Originally Posted by Grass Hopper View Post
    Interesting idea has anyone used one of these tipping forks?

http://ocengineering.ie/index.php?cmsID=482

Mayo

Whats wrong with a normal push off? You can push it off as you go upwards? Hydraulic top link to give you extra clearance for steep ramp etc?

recycled

seen that pic before , think theres as much point in that as there is in putting a push of on a loading shovel

multi power

Quote Originally Posted by Mayo View Post
    Whats wrong with a normal push off? You can push it off as you go upwards? Hydraulic top link to give you extra clearance for steep ramp etc?
    i would have thought push off better, but ive never seen a push off that folds up

Turkeyboy

Looks good, and if it was on the back it might even stand a chance of lifting it.

KMA

bunch of amateurs, what you need is a MF 35 with a rollover buckrake (tripped with a ropen chain) moving single chop in the rain:lolk:

richardyoung

Quote Originally Posted by KMA View Post
    bunch of amateurs, what you need is a MF 35 with a rollover buckrake (tripped with a ropen chain) moving single chop in the rain:lolk:
    Yes, you back ito the load, lift front wheels in air, back, forward, bounce about finally get the load broke and you have a half a wheelbarrow full on the buckrake, back up the pit (ducking for the rafters and avoiding the man with the pike) the back out for another bit, times have changed.

And the ever shortening trip rope as it gets tied that many times.

Tha Ulsterscot

Quote Originally Posted by recycled View Post
    i didnt say the back wheels were doing nothing but your 135 wont clime a slope as steep as a 4wd
    A 135 required a really SKILLED driver, whereas a 4wd only needs a link
    between seat and the steering wheel

Agrimix

used a fair few tractors on the buckrake over the years
    MF 135 with twin wheels
    IH 574
    MF 290turbo 4wd
    MF 390T 4wd
    JD 6310 4wd
    FORD 7840 4wd
    RENAULT 816 4wd