Thread: Sheep Clippers for dagging

Sheep Clippers for dagging

I'm intersted to know if anyone has tried the electric sheep shears available on the internet (eBay etc) for around the 60 - 100 mark? And if so how have they performed?

Or alternatively, a recommendation where I can get some decent hand shears for dagging.

Re: Sheep Clippers for dagging

Quote Originally Posted by piratepete View Post
    I'm intersted to know if anyone has tried the electric sheep shears available on the internet (eBay etc) for around the 60 - 100 mark? And if so how have they performed?

Or alternatively, a recommendation where I can get some decent hand shears for dagging.
    I have a set of Heineger electric clippers. The handset is fairly heavy, but they are an absolute godsend for getting wool off when necessary.

Anyone tried the cordless shears that have a battery pack you wear around your waist? I saw these demonstrated at Sheep 2012 and was impressed. I'd only use them for dagging but would save a lot of hassle esp when there's only a few to do at a time, as is often the case in late summer through to winter.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q=han...w=1440&bih=731

The Jakoti shears, top right, are brilliant.

They are also ideal for trimming cows' tails.

If i were to want shears for dagging only id buy these: http://www.hornershearing.com/acatal...mbo-mains.html you could go for the 12v type, or the ones with a battery on your waist.....

....but IMO buy yourself a proper shearing machine with flexidrive - it wont cost alot more (get a decent 2nd hand one, dont bother with new), and more likely cheaper. You would then have a machine which is more robust (IMO), versatile and can be used to do any job.
    If in doubt, yank it out!

Quote Originally Posted by cotswoldcs View Post
    Anyone tried the cordless shears that have a battery pack you wear around your waist? I saw these demonstrated at Sheep 2012 and was impressed. I'd only use them for dagging but would save a lot of hassle esp when there's only a few to do at a time, as is often the case in late summer through to winter.
    this what yer thinking of
    http://www.handypiece.co.nz/

the corded ones tryed them bit like shearing with an anglegrinder

Quote Originally Posted by JD-Kid View Post

This is was I was on about but I guess they're all similar.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sheep-Shea...-/151057362825

Quote Originally Posted by JD-Kid View Post

I looked at these and was told they be well over a thousand pounds by the time you would get them to the UK. Would be cheaper going to NZ on holiday and bringing a set back. So i bought the set in Nithdales link. Great wee set for dagging, we did alot of bellies with them too over the winter too. Was going to try shearing a few with it but my back is knackered at the mo. Got both the 12v and 240.

I have a set of these type of clippers and found them fantastic for dagging out. I'm sure they are no where near as robust as a "proper" set of clippers but they are cheap as chips and far easier/quicker than doing them by hand. I wouldn't recommend them for shearing as I just don't think they are up to the job, however I have done several of my desperate cases this year as I try and track down a shearer.

This is was I was on about but I guess they're all similar.
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sheep-Shea...-/151057362825
    ummm not realy the same those ones alot fatter i have used them to befair i'd sooner use a set of blades set up right tho not out of the box

ordered a handypiece today. 675

looked at the Rambo as well.
    the handypiece runs off a 12v lithium battery and the Rambo is on a Ni-cad battery.....well would you buy a cordless drill with old style Ni-cad batteries?

also the handypiece can connect straight to car battery for longer use with out needing extra transformers.
    think handypiece is also a proper lister handpiece and NZ motor. opposed to a Chinese one. BUT it is 200 more than the Rambo.

I would have settled for either but the lithium battery and the fact it's 12v settled it for me.

use a mains machine for shearing and a 12v longhorn for everything else but I'll sell that now. the handypiece will be much more....handy!

as far as I'm aware the Rambo quick draw I.e.the one with a belt battery is 24v so can't run off a car battery. but there is a 12v/240v one that will run of a car battery but not a belt battery. just to clarify.

both machines look awesome. can't wait for mine to arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by exmoor dave View Post
    ordered a handypiece today. 675

looked at the Rambo as well.
    the handypiece runs off a 12v lithium battery and the Rambo is on a Ni-cad battery.....well would you buy a cordless drill with old style Ni-cad batteries?

also the handypiece can connect straight to car battery for longer use with out needing extra transformers.
    think handypiece is also a proper lister handpiece and NZ motor. opposed to a Chinese one. BUT it is 200 more than the Rambo.

I would have settled for either but the lithium battery and the fact it's 12v settled it for me.

use a mains machine for shearing and a 12v longhorn for everything else but I'll sell that now. the handypiece will be much more....handy!
    Who did you get your handy piece through?
    Cheers

think the motor is a euro one not 100% sure buy had heard out of a bmw window wiper motor

think you can also run them off a 240> 12 v transformer if say dagging in the yards and have a over yard wire supplying power like some do with the smaller flexy tube dagging plants

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny400 View Post
    Who did you get your handy piece through?
    Cheers
    George mudge shearing. it's not on their website yet so you'll need to ring them.

Google George mudge shearing.

Has your handypiece arrived and been used yet Exmoor Dave ? What do you think of it?